Sunday, March 28, 2010

Katie's Turn

I wrote about Tom's birthdays last week and have been reminded by several people that I need to write about Katie's. I didn't forget about her. I had a harder time rounding up the pictures. They weren't all in one place like Tom's. I finally remembered that in an attempt to get organized at one point, I had separated the kid's pictures and stored them in different places. I don't know how that helped me be more organized, but I finally found her pictures.


This was her first birthday. When she was little, I loved sewing for her. I made this dress and she was so precious in it. That was back in the good old days, before she could talk and tell me she didn't like dresses.
Birthday number 2 was at our house with friends and family. We had cupcakes and she's wearing a store bought dress. I can't remember why I didn't make one for her birthday. There's a lot I don't remember.

The 3rd birthday was a big affair. Her Uncle Warren and Aunt Patti were here with Grace and Franny. We also had Bob, Valerie, Rob, Dana, and Kaylin from New Orleans. Memaw, Grandpa, Nana, Pa, Granny and Papa were also there.
I wanted to make a really special dress for the occasion. It was yellow and had lots of hand applique on the top. The bottom was pieced around the edge in different colors. It took a long time for me to make that dress. I was almost finished with it when she came in to where I was working one day and asked me what I was doing. I told her I was making a special dress for her to wear on her birthday. She looked me right in the eye and without missing a beat she said," I'm not going to wear it". And she didn't. That was pretty much the end of my sewing for Katie.



Blue's Clues was the theme of the 4th birthday. I don't remember anything about it and this was the only picture I found. I think my feelings were still hurt from the previous birthday.


By the 5th birthday, I was really into themed parties. We invited her whole Pre-K class and the theme was dogs. She loved any kind of dog. She never liked dolls but you could always make her happy with a dog. We served cupcakes in dog bowls with puppy chow (cocoa puffs). The kids all wore collars with their name on it and they played Pin the Tail on the Dog. It was a lot of fun and it's the one I remember most.
She'll be 14 in May and she still likes having parties and she still loves dogs. I wonder if she would let me make a dress for her this year?




2 comments:

  1. Those were sure beautiful dresses. Too bad, Katie didn't like them but she looked cute in Tom's blue jeans. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, i was also at the third and fourth birthday parties and maybe the fifth. i was there until i moved in 2000. i'm just sayin'. i remember the blues clues cake the best and thought you were talented for making it! love, kim

    ReplyDelete