Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Inner Gardener

I love plants. I love to go to the garden center and look at all the possible things that I could grow; however, I know that anything I buy is probably not going to live long. I'm finally going to admit after many years of trying that I just don't have that green thumb.

I feel like I should have it though. My dad is a wonderful gardener. I remember beautiful flower gardens and an abundance of homegrown vegetables as I was growing up. I really think some of his skill should have rubbed off on me, but it just didn't.


This rose bush has survived in spite of me. It looks good about once a year and this is that time. It's supposed to be a climbing bush, but of course, it hasn't. It's just lucky to be alive. It's not going to waste any energy trying to climb.


I have had some luck with herbs. This is cilantro and I also have basil and rosemary. Also in this picture you can see day lilies. These lilies originated in my grandmother's yard. My dad transplanted some to his yard and a couple of years ago he brought me some. I hope I don't kill these. I planted them in a spot that will be hard for me to not see them, so maybe they will get more attention.

If I could only grow one thing, I would pick tomatoes. I love home grown tomatoes so much. Of course my dad always grew the best ones and he still does. I've tried and tried over the years, but I just don't have the touch. A few years ago, I planted a lot of them and poured so much attention and care on them that I just knew that would be the year that I finally had a bumper crop. I remember looking out the window one day and there was a deer standing there eating all the little green tomatoes. At first I was alarmed and thought that I needed to go run her off and save my crop. But as I stood there watching her, I realized that if she destroyed my crop then I was off the hook. I didn't have to pretend anymore that I knew what I was doing. When people asked me how my tomatoes were doing, I could just say, "Oh, the deer ate them" instead of admitting that I had killed them.
I allowed myself to buy one tomato plant this year. It's doubled in size since I planted it and it has some blooms. I can't take any credit for it's growth because it has rained so much that I haven't had to do anything for it. If you think about it, say a little prayer for my tomato plant and the day lilies. Their days are probably numbered.


No comments:

Post a Comment