Monday, April 26, 2010

Memories of a House

I've been looking at old photos again. This was taken in my grandparents house and it must have been a special occasion because they are both wearing flowers.

This is the only house I remember them living in. It was in Plainview which is also where I was born. We moved when I was a baby, but we were never very far away. We visited often and when I think about that house, a lot of memories come to mind.

I remember toasted Roman Meal bread spread with butter and jelly for breakfast.

I remember my grandfather singing gospel songs and playing dominoes with anyone who would sit down and play with him. He would set up a card table in front of his chair and his opponent would sit opposite him.

I remember the day lilies in my grandmother's yard. There are some in my garden now and I will try not to kill them. There was also a huge tree in the front that was perfect for climbing.

I remember a picture of Mark Twain that was proudly displayed in the living room and my grandmother being so sure that he was a relative.

I remember a large yellow Cadillac parked in the driveway. It was the first car I had ever been in that had power windows - so fancy!

I remember dresser drawers full of treasures. They were treasures to me anyway.

I remember being there one night during a fierce storm, yet feeling safe because I was surrounded by family.

I also remember being there the night we found out my sister had been killed in an accident. I'm so glad my mom was there that night with her parents when she received that terrible phone call. I was only 5, but I remember the devastation and horrible grief. My mom needed her parents.

Thinking about that house brings up so many memories of family. It was so often full of uncles, aunts, cousins, and more cousins. Sometimes when I drive through Plainview I think about trying to find it, but then I realize I would rather have my memories than to see the house as it is today. I wouldn't want today's reality to take away from yesterday's memories.

2 comments:

  1. why did you have to go and make me cry? why does it look like i'm wearing my glasses upside down?

    i remember roses out front. am i making that up? my favorite was when all the uncles, aunts and cousins were there and everyone was talking and telling stories and cutting up.

    i don't remember the mark twain picture but i do remember grandmother's teeth sitting on the table beside her. and wheel of fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet memories!! Thanks for sharing. They both loved you kids so much. Love, Mom
    I believe the picture was their 70th wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete