Monday, May 31, 2010

2 Birthday Parties

Katie turned 14 on the 23rd and we celebrated for a week. We had family come over on her birthday for a meal and cake. Pa and Nana came and Kim brought Jake and Emma.

I made her a cake that I thought sounded like one my Grandmother Fariss used to make. It was the best cake ever and I guess she was the only one in the family that knew how to make it. As far as I know, she never wrote down a recipe. Katie is named after Grandmother Fariss so we decided this cake should be called the "Katie Lee". It has 12 thin layers and a chocolate glaze between each. As I was putting it together and it was getting taller and taller, the layers started sliding. That's why it's a little crooked. It tasted pretty good but it wasn't my grandmother's cake. It's as close as I'll ever get though, so maybe we'll start a new tradition.

14 candles is a lot to blow out.


The next weekend we celebrated her birthday again with her friends. I didn't make the cake this time. It came from Brookshire Brothers.
The girls spent the night in the bunkhouse and then we got up early Saturday morning and spent the whole day at Schlitterbauhn. We all had a great time. Tom took a friend. The kids took off and did their own thing and Alan and I spent the day in the lazy river. It's a pretty good way to spend a Saturday.

Happy Birthday, Katie!


1 comment: