Friday, January 8, 2010

Cold Weather and Squirrel Tails

It has been too cold to write for the last couple of days. I don't want to come out from under my blanket. It's supposed to be even colder tonight. 12 degrees! This is central Texas. How can it be 12 degrees? I'm not a big fan of the cold anymore. I grew up in Amarillo so I know what cold weather is like, but I've been down here for too long and I just feel miserable when the temperature gets below 40. I haven't even taken the kids out for recess the last 2 days. If I would rather stay in a room all day long with 21 five year olds than venture out for recess then it must be really cold.


I did drive over to Florence last night to watch Katie play basketball. The rest of the people in Texas were in front of their TVs watching the National Chamionship game, but we had a game. It was the fastest basketball game I have ever watched. There were no time outs called, hardly any fouls called, and very few times the clock was stopped. The game started at 7:00 and was finished by 7:45. I think everybody just wanted to get home. By the way, our girls won, 30-9.



Let's play a game now. The game is "Can You Guess What This Is?" Remember, there is a teen age boy living in our house.



I was taking a nice hot bath tonight. (That's the only way I can really warm up.) I was relaxing and thawing out, and I glanced over toward the sink and saw this thing. I scared me to death. I was too far away to really be able to tell what it was, but I could see that it was furry. I just knew that it was going to dart across the room at any second. I watched it for awhile and it never moved so then I decided some poor cold creature had crawled into the house and died in my bathroom. Yuck! When I was finally able to get close enough to see what it was, I discovered it was my son's squirrel tail.


Tom was really born into the wrong family. He would love to hunt, but there are just no hunters in the family. A couple of years ago, he shot this poor squirrel. He was so proud of himself. His Pa showed him how to skin it and then he stuck the remainder of the squirrel in my freezer. He wanted me to "cook it up". Yeah, right. I'm not "cooking up" any squirrel. It stayed in the freezer for a long time, then he had a school project that he was able to use the squirrel for. The tail is all that is left of that squirrel. Our Chihuahua, Chico, just recently discovered that squirrel tail and now it is his new chew toy. That's how it got in my bathroom and ruined my nice, hot relaxing bath that I really needed because I've been trapped in a classroom with 21 five year olds for the last two days.

1 comment:

  1. YUCK. When you talked about Pa and skinning the squirrel I felt like I was watching Little House on Prairie.

    I've been taking lots of baths too--sometimes 2 a day in this cold weather!!

    ReplyDelete